This is a brief list of programs, add-ons, and other relevant services roleplayers might find useful. These programs and add-ons are often useful outside of just roleplaying, too! But they can really help super-charge your roleplaying — whether that’s creating graphics for your characters or actually writing your RP posts.
- The GIMP is a reasonable alternative to Photoshop.
- InkScape is a reasonable alternative to Illustrator.
- Pixlr is a web/app alternative photo editor.
- TinyPNG and TinyJPG help you optimize images.
Alternative Text Editors
If you’re still coding in Notepad, stop! For your own sanity, I implore you.
- VS Code
- Notepad++ (Windows)
- Sublime Text
Alternative Office Programs
It may help you to write your posts in a typical word processing environment.
- Text Colorizers: StuffByDavid and PatorJK
- NexusFont can help you keep your fonts organized.
- Google Fonts
ColorZilla is available for Firefox and Chrome, and allows you to pull colors directly from a webpage. This is useful in a chat or IM environment, but also saves time in that you don’t have to screenshot and eyedropper the screenshot anymore.